What is the meaning and purpose of life? Find out in a short video that summarizes the key ideas in Marcel Proust's A la recherche du Temps Perdu (In Search of Lost Time), that at two million words, just happens to be the longest novel ever written.
- Show the video in art or humanities classes and have class members craft a presentation of the works of an artist they believe encourages viewers to look at life with a new sensitivity
- Encourage pupils to create a list of Proustian moments, of experiences that enrich daily life
- Project images of Vermeer's paintings and have viewers comment on the works in the light of Proust's ideas
- Preview the video to determine if appropriate for your learning situation
- Show the video in full screen mode to avoid the comments section
- The video uses art works to illustrate key ideas