This Marine Ecosystems lesson plan also includes:
Be at the top of the food chain when it comes to understanding marine ecosystems. The 21st installment of a 23-part NOAA Enrichment in Marine sciences and Oceanography (NEMO) program investigates marine ecosystems, ocean zones, and food webs. In the activity, learners use data on blue crab in the Chesapeake Bay to determine the health of the ecosystem.
- Have pupils create flash cards to help distinguish between the different ocean zones
- Introductory activity requires a ball of yarn
- Activity handout includes a blank graph, so you do not need to provide graph paper
- Having pupils model food webs with yarn helps visualize relationships
- Activity provides a file on blue crabs for classes that do not have Internet access