This Math with Jake: Music Transposition video also includes:
What's that sound? Transpose music proportionally using a ukulele. A ukulele artist explains how math is beneficial in transposing songs written in one key to another. The video demonstrates that transposing keeps the ratio between the notes the same, so listeners hear the same tune. With the Math at the Core: Ratios resource, class members transpose a piece of music using a scale factor.
- If possible, play the two different versions of the song on the keyboard
- Individuals should know how to determine whether ratios are proportional
- Assumes pupils are comfortable dividing decimals
- Provides grouping information for each portion of the activity
- Includes a table with frequencies and musical notes