This Mercantilists and the Midas Touch activity also includes:
What is the connection between greed and mercantilism? Historians consider this question by analyzing a fairy-tale like story about King Midas from the nineteenth century. The background information and excerpt help pupils understand the economics behind the historical concept.
- Ask students what other stories from literature or pop culture illustrate the concept of mercantilism
- Extend the conversation by asking small groups to create a graphic organizer to show mercantilism's connection to the Columbian Exchange
- 22nd of 23 lessons from Council on Economic Education covering middle school world history
- Readings presume class already understands colonialism
- Background information and questions make the lesson plan ready to use
- Readings break down sophisticated concepts for students of all levels