This Messin' with Mixtures activity & project also includes:
Do you separate your trail mix before eating it? Then you've been separating mixtures your whole life! Scholars model a contaminated soil sample using trail mix and estimate the percentage of each component. They consider how to clean up the soil by separating out the mixture.
- Have learners research different applications of separating mixtures in a journal entry
- Activity requires some materials, such as trail mix
- Builds on prior knowledge from the unit (this is the last lesson a six-part Mixtures and Solutions unit)
- Learners should have knowledge of percents
- Includes worksheet and answer key, both available in Word or PDF
- Lists some troubleshooting tips for the activity