This Metals, Nonmetals, and Metalloids lesson plan also includes:
How can one easily classify metals, nonmetals, and metalloids? Pupils answer this question as they experiment with unknown substances and perform tests on conductivity, brittleness, and malleability to determine which unknown belongs in each category. They conclude with a class discussion to compare and contrast results.
- Have pupils conduct research and develop other ways to test whether a sample is a metal, nonmetal, or metalloid
- Show YouTube videos about metals, nonmetals, and metalloids in class to expand the activity
- Ensure persenters wear safety glasses throughout the experiment
- The fourth in a series of seven related resources
- Hands-on application allows class members to remain engaged throughout experiment
- May be adapted to use as a demonstration, rather than collaborative learning, if needed