This Microbes and Disease activity & project also includes:
Discuss how diseases have impacted human history. Divide your class into groups and assign each group one of the following: tuberculosis, malaria, plague, cholera, smallpox, and AIDS. They read up on, complete a concept map, and present to the rest of the class their assigned disease. Afterward, they create artwork and write a paragraph about it. This could be used in a life science class when studying microbiology as a way to demonstrate how it impacts society and as a way to incorporate history, writing, and art into your curriculum.
- Richly detailed lesson plan
- A video and supportive projection slides available
- Interdisciplinary approach
- Part of an exciting unit on microbes by Baylor College of Medicine
- Middle schoolers may not have great interest in this topic or in this research assignment; it is, however, an integral part of a unit on microorganisms