How did the beginning of the Vietnam War factor into the Cold War with the Soviet Union? As part of a study of American involvement in Vietnam, class members read a letter address to President Kennedy and his response in which he explains the rationale for sending American soldiers to the country.
- Have groups research the CIA's Phoenix Program, the Vietnam Shadow government, and the Domino Theory
- Class members should have some background knowledge of the Cold War
- The 11-page packet includes background information about the Cold War and American involvement in Vietnam
- Kennedy's response outlines the Domino Theory
- Little information is included about the role these advisors were expected to play