This Mineral Identification lesson plan also includes:
What's the difference between a rock and a mineral? And what properties are used to identify minerals? The first installment of a five-part series on earth materials and processes prompts young scientists to identify a set of minerals based on their knowledge of mineral properties.
- Find a mineral identification chart on the Internet (not provided in the resource) to help participants identify given minerals
- Decide whether to use the acid test based on age and maturity level of learners
- Keep in mind that local and state standards may differ, as well as requirements for mineral identification
- Resource is aligned specifically to Virginia Standards of Learning and mentions the State of Virginia several times; teachers from other states may need to modify the resource
- Teacher's section includes optional extensions and connections activities
- Resource includes cloze notes and a mineral identification guide that can be copied for students