This Mock Trial of Alfred Dreyfus lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson 4 - A Mock Trial (html)
- Students Copy of "J'accuse!"
- Students Copy of "Proces Dreyfus"
- Students Handwriting Samples
- Students Prosecution Arguments
- Students Defense Arguments
- Students Biographies and Chronology
- Zip Files - PDF
- Zip Files - Word Doc
- Zip File of the Handwritings
- Join to access all included materials
What if scholars based mock trials on history? The fourth installment of a five-part series on the Dreyfus Affair asks learners to read various pieces of evidence before conducting a mock trial for a French officer. Teams answer different questions with the help of a reading road map to guide them before a spokesperson for each group makes their case.
- Teach a pre-lesson about the court system or test for pre-knowledge beforehand
- Compare the trial of Dreyfus to other contemporary trials that pupils have heard about to help them understand its relevance to today
- Requires printing and distributing different handouts for different groups in the mock trial
- Includes a film and PowerPoint to present to the class for more context
- Puts scholars in the point of view of a historian; they must analyze different pieces of a puzzle and try to find the truth through different narratives