This Models for Teaching Addition and Subtraction of Integers lesson plan also includes:
- Teacher Reference
- Join to access all included materials
Positive and negative numbers are everywhere in the world around us. Whether it's charged particles in atoms, a hot air balloon rising and falling in the sky, or a series of bills and checks being delivered in the mail, this resource offers some unique ideas for teaching young mathematicians how to model the addition and subtraction of integers.
- Introduce these models as guided practice activities during a lesson series on adding and subtracting integers
- After familiarizing students with adding and subtracting integers, have them work in small groups creating their own real-world models to share with the class
- Includes five different approaches to modeling integers, each supported by multiple examples
- Offers a hands-on collaborative activity for teaching about adding and subtracting integers