How would you feel if you were on trial for murder—and you were only 16 years old? Put yourself in Steve Harmon's shoes before reading Monster by Walter Dean Myers. Kids listen to music that fits the theme of the book before listening to guided imagery about Steve's state of mind. They then write a journal entry that explores how they would feel in the same situation.
- Use the strategy with any novel, using a key passage that describes a character's state of mind
- Have some kids write about Steve and have others write about different characters from the book
- Assign the writing before or during the novel unit
- Encourages teachers to use particular songs, but you could use different songs with the same themes if necessary
- Creative writing prompt that will speak to writers of every skill level
- A good way to introduce the novel before you begin reading