Why Lesson Planet?
Go on a moon mining expedition from the safety of your classroom with this space exploration simulation. Using simple models of the moon's surface prepared ahead of time by the teacher, young scientists are challenged with locating and extracting minerals as they learn about the valuable resources available on the moon.
- Insert this lesson into an upper elementary astronomy lesson series on the moon
- As an extension activity, have children research the similarities and differences between the rocks and minerals found on the moon and those found on the earth
- Moon mining activity involves the use of frozen materials, which means they will need to be stored in a freezer or cooler filled with ice until it is time to use them
- Activity assumes basic background knowledge about rocks and minerals
- Clear step-by-step directions are provided for the moon mining activity
- Cross-curricular extension activities are provided for math, English languages arts, and history
- A rubric is provided, helping teachers to assess student learning