This Nature Journaling: Experience the Outdoors Through Writing and Drawing lesson plan also includes:
Step into the great outdoors and develop young scientists' skills of observation with a nature journaling lesson. Given a specific focus or goal, children practice making and recording observations of nature through written descriptions and detailed sketches. Once students become comfortable with this activity, it can be repeated as a supplement to elementary science units on just about any topic.
- A list of tips are provided for adapting the lesson to meet the needs of all children
- Includes an activity that extends learning about descriptive writing
- Provides a suggestion for a related service learning project
- A rubric is included for for assessing nature journals
- Additional scaffolding may be necessary to support all children with recording their observations of nature