This Nightjohn: List-Group-Label Strategy lesson plan also includes:
Encourage readers of Nightjohn, Gary Paulsen's young adult novel about slavery set shortly before the Civil War, to develop their categorization and organizational skills with a strategy that asks them to list all the words they can think of that relate to a key word or topic, group these words, and then provide a label that encompasses all the words in that grouping.
- Introduce the strategy after an in-class reading of the first few pages of the novel
- Have class members generate the topics
- The sixth in a series of nine resources designed to be used with Nightjohn
- The resource includes a rationale for the strategy, step-by-step directions, assessment suggestions, and a link to a model list, group, label chart
- Readers are not provided with an explanation for how the activity relates to the novel