This Ocean Layers I lesson plan also includes:
How is it possible for ocean water to have layers? The sixth installment of a 23-part NOAA Enrichment in Marine sciences and Oceanography (NEMO) program investigates factors that cause different water densities to occur. Experiments solidify understanding that salinity and temperature affect water density.
- Use the lesson to introduce how ocean layers form
- Demonstration and experiment require materials and prior preparation
- Note that the lesson only covers conceptual ideas and does not actually name the ocean layers; provide a handout or visual with these layers
- Learners will be engaged in the subject matter through the lab
- Resource includes slideshow and answer key for student handouts