Exactly what is the right stuff? Individuals consider the question using video clips about the astronaut legend, John Glenn. Footage includes NASA propaganda newsreels about his upbringing, as well as speeches from Glenn and his daughter. Then, learners consider the astronaut's legacy and the space race's connection to the Cold War.
- Analyze clips for Cold War influences on the space race
- Watch videos and then ask small groups to compile a list of the characteristics of a hero
- Teachers must create a free C-SPAN Classroom account or the use of the following login credentials: Username: students, Password: C-SPANCLASSROOM
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Video footage includes vintage films about Glenn, as well as clips of the astronaut himself
- Resource is edited to allow for easy adaptation to various forms of instruction