This Orbital Motion interactive also includes:
Why do planets orbit the sun in ellipses when moons orbit their planet in circles? Pupils control the semi-major axis, eccentricity of the orbit, and position angle. The resulting orbital appears with the related force vectors as selected in order to show the angular momentum conservation.
- Relate this to the speed of cars on a Nascar track there is a minimum and a maximum limit as they go around the curve
- Requires a free CK-12 account to access the interactive
- Assumes prior knowledge of angles and vectors
- Worksheet includes analysis questions and simulator contains more difficult challenge questions
- Offers a video walkthrough of how the simulator works