What do molecules look like anyway? A video explores the orbitals of molecules that determine their shape, including S and p orbitals and their hybridization. It also introduces sigma and pi bonds so learners can fully grasp the concept of orbitals.
- Discuss orbitals before watching the video in order for learners to fully grasp concepts
- Pause video and have 3-D models of orbitals available for pairs of learners to play with and shape structures shown on the video; have students then draw their models, labeling each orbital
- Requires access to the Internet, a projection system, and a computer in order to view the resource
- Good visuals of different orbital structures, through both 2-D drawings and 3-D structures
- Resource describes and discusses hybridized orbitals as well
- The video moves quickly through complex concepts; you will need to spend more time on orbitals for learners to master their formation