This Our Classroom Constitution lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Develop a system of classroom rules created by the kids, for the kids with this three-part lesson series on the US Constitution. After learning about the structure of the Constitution and the government it established, young scholars brainstorm and vote on a set of classroom rules that is signed and displayed in the classroom.
- With older students, provide them with actual copies of the Constitution to read and discuss on the second day of the lesson.
- Extend the lesson series by having pupils work with a partner or in small groups writing drafts of the classroom constitution
- Requires a copy of the book We the Kids by David Catrow
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Empowers students by allowing them to create their own class rules
- Provides a writing prompt that asks children to compare their experiences creating a classroom constitution with that of the Founding Fathers
- Includes a sample class constitution to serve as a guide