This Patterns in the Distribution of Lactase Persistence activities & project also includes:
We all drink milk as babies, so why can't we all drink it as adults? Examine the trend in lactase production on the world-wide scale as science scholars analyze and interpret data. Groups create pie charts from the data, place them on a world map, and describe the patterns they see.
- Show the video about the lactase enzyme in class, or assign it as homework
- Have the class create their own studies around lactose intolerance within their families and friends
- Place pupils in groups of two or three
- Purchase round, white stickers to use for the pie chart portion of the lesson to save time and glue
- The resource is a great interdisciplinary lesson and connects science with world geography, culture, and math
- Offers multiple opportunities for discussion and experimental design