This Personal Choices and the Planet lesson plan also includes:
The last activity in the series of four has individuals determine steps they can take to reduce their carbon footprints and then analyze their schools' recycling programs. Through a sustainability audit, they identify how and where their schools can lower their carbon footprints and in groups, present their findings to their teachers, principals, parents, or schools.
- Involve the principal in the audits by having groups meet with him/her to share their collected data
- For groups to be most effective, keep them at two to three pupils
- Amount of time to research, levels of classes, and length of presentations all affect the duration of this activity
- Lesson provides the audit checklists, background information, individual worksheets, a rubric for presentations, and links to other useful websites
- Great activity to get classes thinking beyond themselves and how their communities can change for the better