Identify the major players of meiosis, which are chromosomes from both mom and dad, sister chromatids, centrosomes, centrioles, and microtubules. The lesson goes on to explore each step of meiosis: interphase, prophase I and crossing over, metaphase I, anaphase I, telophase I, cytokinesis, prophase II, anaphase II, telophase II, and cytokinesis.
- Stop the video after each step to allow learners to discuss phases, take notes, and ask questions
- After the video, view phases on slides under a microscope
- To complete the activity, you need a computer, Internet access, and a projection system
- Lesson is part 26 in a series of 37
- Includes link to meiosis slideshow
- Simple and effective descriptions of each stage with great visuals engage learners and help cement concepts
- Explanation of why sperm and egg endpoints of meiosis are different was not totally clear