This Photons in the Radiative Zone: Which Way Is Out? An A-Maz-ing Model lesson plan also includes:
- Student Activity: Photons in the Radiative Zone—Which Way Is Out?
- Student Handout: Standard Model of the Sun
- Student Text: Models in Science
- Models in Science: Modeling the Sun (.ppt)
- Models in Science: Modeling the Sun (.pdf)
- Science Module—Cosmic Chemistry: The Sun and Solar Wind
- User's Guide
- Student Text: Photons in the Radiative Zone: Which Way Is Out?
- Join to access all included materials
Can you move like a photon? Young scholars use a maze to reproduce the straight line motion of a photon. The second in a six-part series of lessons on the sun has learners measure angle of incidence and refraction to determine the path of the photon until time expires or it finds its way out of the maze.
- Use tape to create the maze on the floor of the classroom
- Begin with a presentation on photons and their movements
- Allow time to gather and prepare necessary materials
- Includes alternative options for modeling the movement of the photon
- Provides a detailed teacher's guide to help in planning the lesson