This Physical Oceanography and Meteorology, Navy Search and Rescue Operation lesson plan also includes:
It's an ocean rescue mission! Groups must find a pilot downed off the coast of the Chesapeake Bay. Rescuers must determine the distance needed to travel as well as the heading to get to the pilot's last known position. Taking into account ocean currents drift, groups calculate the new heading needed to be able to rescue the downed pilot.
- In upper-level courses use vectors to represent the ship's and pilot's travel
- Review scales and conversions as needed
- Requires Google Earth
- Acquire materials before starting the lesson
- Presentation includes links to videos for further explanations and to provide engagement
- The lesson provides questions for the class to answer in order to determine the tools and calculations needed