Why Lesson Planet?
Ease children's back-to-school jitters with this primary grade lesson based on the book The Kissing Hand by Ruth E. Harper. Starting off with a singing of the song "I Wish I Had a Little Red Box", children go on to discuss and create a picture graph of their feelings on the first day of school. Young learners then read about Chester's first day of school before creating a Kisses, Hugs, and Handshakes art project complementing the story.
- Pick and choose which of the learning activities to perform based on your class schedule
- Consider breaking up the lesson over the first week of school
- Perform some of the activities mentioned in the lesson as teacher led learning centers during language arts rotations
- Seek the help of a classroom aide, parent volunteer, or upper elementary student to reduce the amount of prep time needed prior to the lesson
- Lesson includes a clear step-by-step procedure
- Children are engaged in learning about their feelings through a series of hands-on activities
- Numerous suggestions are included for assessing students throughout the lesson
- Includes a list of extension activities