This Plate Tectonics I lesson plan also includes:
Young geologists get a glimpse beneath the earth's surface in this plate tectonics investigation. After first learning about the different layers of the earth and the constant movement of its plates, young geologists work in small groups to calculate the average speed of the Pacific Plate over the past 17 years.
- Create heterogeneous groupings so students can support each other with completing this somewhat involved investigation
- Extend learning by having students research the movement of other plates
- Multiple reference materials, graphic organizers, and worksheets are provided as support with completing the learning activity
- Resource includes a PowerPoint presentation that offers maps and diagrams explaining key concepts relating to plate tectonics
- A short 10-question quiz is provided for assessing student learning