This Play Ball! – Or Not…Making a Decision Using Weather Data lesson plan also includes:
Should the game go on or not? An engaging lesson asks small groups to make a decision using weather data. After analyzing a map, an updated forecast, and radar information, groups have to decide whether to cancel a baseball game. They are then presented with the actual outcome.
- Up the ante a bit and tell them this baseball game is the state championship
- Classes should have knowledge about how fronts move, in what direction, and radar maps
- Establish baseball rules for what needs to be present, weather wise, for a game to be called (usually lightning)
- Having scholars make a forecast, knowing there is a baseball game at stake, is engaging
- Actual outcome of the weather and situation is found near the end