Tasking class members to analyze a poem can strike fear into the hearts of many learners. Here's a worksheet that takes the mystery out of the process by providing questions about what to look for in the text and to the devices poets use to build meaning.
- Model how to use the worksheet, and then as guided practice, have pairs use the questions on the worksheet to analyze a second poem
- Either provide class members with a list of suggested poets and/or poems or brainstorm such lists
- Requires individual copies of the worksheet
- Class members should have experience analyzing poetry
- Although the worksheet could be used with any poetry, the resource specifies poems by a Latino poet
- Questions build from identifying concrete elements to more subjective features