Lungs burning, eyes blurry—chemical weapons cause great destruction. Scholars view a short video analyzing the first use of chemical weapons in World War I. The eighth lesson of a 32-part series on the Great War investigates the legality of chemical weapons and the future of their use. To finish, the class openly discusses the morality of using such weapons.
- Incorporate a discussion of the use of gas in Syria today with the issue of the legality of chemical warfare: Chemicals in Syria
- Create a series of questions and have students answer them while viewing the video
- Requires proper audio and visual technology equipment
- Audio and visual learners benefit from the video clip
- Video length is under 12 minutes, allowing for placement in a WWI unit at teacher discretion