This Popular Music and Music Videos lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
This resource is part of a three-activity unit that introduces your class to the concept of popular culture and the role that it plays in their lives. Here, learners examine the importance of the music industry and music videos in pop culture. Activities include viewing and listening to videos, (with and without sound to analyze aesthetic visual elements), researching the history of the music video, and independent projects on music videos for selected musical genres.
- Preview the Frontline PBS "Merchants of Cool" to determine if it is appropriate to include in this three-part unit
- Because much of popular music contains references and language inappropriate for the classroom, be sure and set clear guidelines for the assignments
- The resource is one in a series of three related media lessons
- The inquiry-based research projects provide class members with an opportunity to practice collaboration, communication, coordination, and critical thinking skills
- No links are provided to research sites