This Population Parameter with M-and-M's lesson plan also includes:
Manufacturers' claims may or may not be accurate, so proceed with caution. Here pupils use statistics to investigate the M&M's company's claim about the percentage of each color of candy in their packaging. Through the activity, individuals study population parameters and sample statistics; they use their data to make inferences about a population.
- Have each class collect data about a different color of M&M
- Learners should have previous experience with population parameter and sample statistics; calculating sample proportions and making inferences about a population; and constructing and interpreting dot plots
- The activity requires a large container of M&M's for each class period
- Provides extension ideas for early finishers
- Complete with a teaching guide with questioning ideas