This Practical Problems Involving Decimals lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
After discussing decimals and "going shopping" in the classroom, young mathematicians are given four practical word problems that require them to estimate their answers, given specific information. The highlight of the lesson is having individuals show their thinking. From here, challenge your young scholars to explain their thinking in words.
- Provide calculators for differentiating
- Use play money to facilitate students "going shopping"
- Lesson can be broken up over two days
- A great opportunity for discussing estimation and how it relates to real-world problem solving
- Includes lesson extensions and questions that promote critical thinking