The issues of voter fraud and voter suppression are relevant in every election, local as well as national. Soon-to-be voters learn about a recent bill proposed in North Carolina, the Voter Information and Verification Act, and decide for themselves whether the bill prevents voter fraud or encourages voter suppression. They also look at Supreme Court opinions, analyze a few voter scenarios, listen to opinions of politicians and voters, and create a bumper sticker that reflects their opinion on the matter.
- The issue is elevant nationwide since similar bills are being proposed in nearly every state
- See if similar bills have been proposed in your state and use them as sources
- This is an evolving issue, so for recent updates do a quick Google search to find recent voting rights bills and laws
- Requires Internet access
- Doesn't push a particular stance on participants, but encourages viewers to make up their own minds
- Good excerpting and context helps the class tackle court decisions