This Primary Source Worksheet: Lyndon B. Johnson, Excerpt from “The Great Society” worksheet also includes:
Young historians examine Lyndon Johnson's vision for a rich, powerful, and upward society as detailed in this excerpt from his famous "Great Society" speech presented at the University of Michigan in 1964.
45 Views 51 Downloads
- After a close reading of the excerpt of "The Great Society" speech, and a discussion of the rhetorical devices Johnson employs, have class members watch, and respond, to a video of the speech
- Ask class members to examine other speeches made by Johnson and then characterize his political views
- Ask groups to consider whether the goals Johnson envisioned have been achieved
- Links to video versions of the speech are included
- Text-based and analysis questions, as well as a list of activities that ask readers to make personal connections to the speech, are included