Create an understanding of prime numbers with the class after watching a video that examines different numbers and recognizes prime numbers as being those that do not have other factors than one and itself. The narrator then identifies composite numbers as those not labeled prime.
- Have your pupils create lists of prime and composite numbers; challenge them to find the most prime numbers in a given amount of time
- Reinforce the idea of prime numbers throughout the year by indentifying them as they occur
- Learners should have previous experience with finding factors of a number
- Uses factor trees to keep track of the factors of each number
- Shows a minimal number of examples with no opportunity for practice