This Project X-51 lesson plan also includes:
In a nose-cone to nose-cone competition, which rocket will prevail? Teams form rocket companies to design and build a rocket while competing against other teams in an economic challenge. The team that comes up with the best benefit/cost ratio wins!
- Have company teams develop a presentation that highlights their rocket and its performance
- Make a connection to geography by having each team represent a country; prior to the launch, the team can provide details about the country's space program
- Assumes learners have experience launching a water rocket prior to this activity
- The construction phase is time consuming, so allow extra class time for this part of the exercise
- The lesson plan provides a culminating experience to the rest of the activities in the Rockets Educator Guide
- The activity introduces time and financial constraints into a design problem