This Putting Energy to Use video also includes:
From burning wood for heat to riding a bicycle, converting one form of energy into another is an everyday process! Using a video clip, learners discover the sources of the thermal, mechanical, and electrical energies that make our lives easier. The resource, part of an energy unit from NOVA, contains discussion questions and a short teacher's guide.
- Demonstrate energy conversion by burning a piece of paper or pushing a ball across your desk
- Show the class a diagram of a coal power plant and point out its components after they've watched the clip
- Talk briefly beforehand about the differences between mechanical, thermal, and electrical energies
- Video does a great job of explaining the energy conversion process for younger pupils
- Use discussion questions during or after the video for a formative assessment