Build the foundations for an solid understanding of volume. Scholars view a video where a civil engineer describes math used in the profession and then poses a volume of cylinders question. They work in pairs to solve the problem and develop a model of a cylindrical object that an engineer might design.
- If possible, take a field trip to a local engineering firm
- Pupils must already be familiar with the volume of a cylinder
- Resource suggests preparing pictures of cylinders
- Provides some discussion questions to ask about the video
- Incorporates different areas of math, such as unit conversions, scales, etc.