This Real-Life Math | Zoo Keeper, Birds video also includes:
Birds of a feather flock together, so it's easy to estimate their number. Pupils watch an installment of a larger Real-Life Math series in which a zookeeper explains how she uses math to estimate the number of birds. They then try out the sampling strategy using small objects.
- Have a contest to see which group guesses the closest number
- Knowledge of ratios is beneficial, but not necessary
- Activity requires 50-100 small objects of the same size
- Includes a recording sheet for estimation strategies
- Lists discussion questions to use in the activity