Why do some fruits turn brown when you cut into them? And how does a Waldorf salad illustrate chemistry? Welcome your class to the world of redox! Topics include how to assign oxidation numbers, modeling redox reactions, and terminology associated with these reactions.
- Take a tip from the narrator and break out the Lewis dot structures to help with oxidation number assignment
- Give the class extra time to work with the oxidation number rules
- Plan some small formative assessments along the way to make sure everyone stays on track
- The narrator makes use of mnemonic devices to help viewers remember what happens when something is being oxidized or reduced
- Brown fruit example takes a tough subject and turns it into something much more relatable