This Refugees: International Law and U.S. Policy lesson plan also includes:
Discover the ways America has opened its borders to international refugees, and the ways other countries have been more or less welcoming, with an informational passage about United States and international policies on refugees. After reading the passage and answering four discussion questions, learners examine the United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and determine whether three examples are violations of the treaty.
- Use the discussion questions as writing prompts to assess understanding
- Encourage learners to research the history of the United States refugee policy for a selected country
- Resource was published in 2003; supplement the lesson with more current information about international refugees
- Activity requires more research and organization
- Provides thought-provoking questions
- Includes a guide for facilitating controversial conversations in the classroom