This Representative Sample activity & project also includes:
At what point does data switch from being an outlier to part of the average? Scholars view conflicting news articles about protesters. They must decide which, if any, side is using the correct sample to draw their conclusions. It's a great exercise to reiterate that you can't always believe what you hear!
- Extend the lesson with a topic currently in the news that media present in vastly different ways
- Relies on prior knowledge of outliers, sampling, and averages
- Discussion may cause some uncomfortable feelings due to the topics covered
- Relates to a current topic in media and politics
- Teaches critical thinking skills