Science rocks! Explore three types of rocks and the rock cycle with an igneous rocks experiment. Pupils discuss textures, composition, and learn how melts are formed from the Earth's crust. They weigh materials using a scientific scale and collect data they later analyze upon conclusion of the activity.
- Allow individuals to provide rocks or rock crystals for show and tell as part of the learning experience
- Have class members research how rocks and rock crystals are used to create jewelry
- Prior knowledge of scale operation is helpful; if students have not used a scale before, take time prior to the activity to demonstrate proper use
- Provides a detailed breakdown of each rock type and numerous examples
- Includes visual aids to enhance understanding
- Does not provide assessment questions or additional activities
- Does not include answers to the worksheet