This Rocking the Cycle! unit plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Teacher Reference
- Graphic Organizer
- Answer Key
- Join to access all included materials
Time to rock out! Discover the "life" cycle of the average rock using an illustrative stations lab and stimulating pairs game. Roll the dice to determine your fate: will it be melting in magma or chilling out to form igneous rock? The content covers the formation of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rock types.
- Consider making time for the rock cycle WebQuest, a great extension of what has been learned so far; assist the class in downloading the packet necessary in completing it and schedule a day in the computer lab or library
- After completing their journey during the rock cycle game, have student pairs collaborate to create a paragraph or two describing their journey; let them spice it up by making their stories funny, dramatic, action-packed, etc.
- These materials are a great introduction to the formation and composition of rocks; sixth graders with basic knowledge of physical properties, nonliving resources, and matter should be well prepared for this level of thinking
- A subscription is require to view Discovery Education videos; locate alternatives to have cued up to aid in visualizing the rock cycle
- Includes all printables are, as well as links to additional resources
- The game is suspenseful for class members
- Balance of materials focus on vocabulary and processes—essential learning for the topics that lie ahead