Why Lesson Planet?
Take young geologists on an exploration of the collection of rocks and minerals that we call Earth with an upper-elementary science activity. Through a series of class discussion and hands-on investigations, students learn about the three different types of rocks and distinguishing properties of each.
- Perform the rock and mineral investigation as a series of learning centers, each one focusing on a different property
- Create a rocks and minerals packet out of the informational texts, diagrams, graphic organizers, and worksheets included with this resource
- Collections of rock samples and other scientific equipment are necessary for the investigations included in the lesson, so be sure to plan accordingly
- Though designed for the fifth grade, this lesson can also be taught in middle school science classes
- All supporting printable materials are included
- Venn diagrams help young scientists to classify rocks based on their observable properties
- Teacher will need to develop their own procedures for carrying out the rock investigations described in this lesson
- Lab & Experiment
- Graphic Organizer
- Graphics & Images
- Student Reference