This Roll & Build activities & project also includes:
- Answer Key
- Join to access all included materials
Develop young mathematicians' understanding of place value with this hands-on math activity. Working in pairs, learners take turns building two-digit numbers by rolling two ten-sided dice. Base ten blocks are then used to model the numbers they create, with students drawing pictures of their visual representations. Consider designing a worksheet or graphic organizer to support children with recording their work. Introduce the class to this activity by first performing it as a whole group before including it as a center during math rotations.
- Activity uses collaboration to support student learning
- Lesson procedures clearly address the concept of place value
- Assumes children have prior knowledge about place value, and how to use base ten blocks to model numbers
- Teacher must provide each pair of students with base ten blocks and two ten-sided dice or spinners with the numbers 0-9