Could your 16-year-old students write a novel? S.E. Hinton did! An engaging video reviews the setting and themes of Hinton's breakout novel The Outsiders through the perspective of hip-hop artist Danny Boy O'Connor, as well as the author herself.
- Use the video to inspire learners to write short stories about their own feelings of being an outsider in a social group
- Ask students to write a journal entry about the setting or a movie or book that they'd like to explore one day
- Part of The Great American Read project, which prompts viewers to vote for a particular book (voting has since been closed)
- Includes some spoilers for the book
- Emphasizes the themes and messages of the novel
- Video is short and versatile for classroom use