This Sail Area Calculations lesson plan also includes:
Do bigger sails mean that the sailboat goes faster? Middle and high schoolers compare sailboats, and learn that simply calculating sail area is not enough. A slideshow presentation demonstrates how to calculate the Sail Area to Displacement Ratio in order to compare the potential speed of sailboats.
- For more accurate sail area calculations, use the formulas provided in the supplemental resource
- Use a spreadsheet program to set up formulas to do the calculations
- Lower grade classes should use a scientific calculator in order to calculate the Sail Area to Displacement Ratio
- The sixth lesson in a seven-part series
- The handouts provide opportunities for pupils to practice the calculations
- The handout does not come with an answer key