Learners read a short excerpt from a speech by Sam Houston and answer corresponding questions as well as engage in additional activities, including writing a persuasive essay and discussing topics in small groups. The resource helps lay a foundation for understanding what qualities make an effective leader and how Sam Houston accomplished so much during his lifetime.
- Instead of meeting in small groups after writing their essays, have learners engage in a class debate
- Extend learning by showing a biopic on Sam Houston's life
- Requires very little prep work other than ensuring each class member gains access to the resource digitally or through print
- Uses visual aids, such as maps and paintings to further enhance the meaning behind concepts
- Asks questions in the exercises that encourage critical thinking rather than rote memorization
- Gives scholars the opportunity to form and express their own opinions, making learning more meaningful